NATURE OF WORK
- Review general development proposals, site layouts, street, water and storm drainage design plans, signing and striping plans, traffic impact studies, soil reports, pavement designs, and engineering elements contained in the land use applications for accuracy, good design practice, and conformance to standards. This shall include floodplain issues as well as water rights requirements that would be tracked using the Town’s Building Permit Software.
- Coordinate the processing of development agreements and acceptance of public improvements by the Town. Estimate the cost of incomplete public improvements and write technical reports and agreements.
- Independently research records for all pertinent information relating to development proposals. Formulate conditions of approval and itemize technical corrections associated with transportation, water distribution and storm drainage issues on planning and zoning applications. Work with the Public Works Department and Planning Department to develop plans for improvements to Town infrastructure and systems. Coordinate with outside agencies, entities and districts that support Town services.
- Ensure compliance with approved plans and adopted standards by performing construction inspections on new public improvements, including waterlines, storm sewer, roadways, curb and gutter, and sidewalks. Propose revisions to and coordinate with impacted Town staff and the public regarding periodic updates to adopted standards and policies. When appropriate present revisions to Town Board.
- Display a competent, working knowledge of traffic, water distribution, and storm drainage engineering principles and analytical methods in written and verbal communications with professional peers and customers.
- Prepare agenda items and articulately and respectfully discuss appropriate matters at Planning Commission and Town Board meetings.
- Provide courteous and effective personal contact with the public at individual meetings, at group meetings, on the telephone, via e-mail, by letters, memos, and other correspondence.
- Maintain system maps and facilities database for potable and non-potable water systems, transportation networks and stormwater drainage systems using AutoCAD and GIS software.
- Provide construction inspection services of town infrastructure for the water, roadway and storm drainage systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of civil and traffic engineering as they relate to the design and construction of public utility and urban street improvements.
- Ability to quickly read and comprehend blueprints, plats, legal descriptions, and related construction documents. General knowledge of land surveying principles.
- Working knowledge of Colorado annexation and subdivision statues desirable. Remain abreast of technical developments in the fields of civil engineering, traffic engineering and land development.
- Familiarity with the basic properties and specifications of concrete, asphalt, aggregate bases, and soils as typically encountered in street and utility construction.
- Working knowledge of highway capacity, water distribution and storm drainage system modeling software, AutoCAD and GIS software, word processing, spreadsheet, and database software is highly desirable.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to independently solve complex problems. Ability to provide accurate and error-free work under pressure and meet reasonable deadlines is mandatory.
- Must provide timely and courteous assistance to other staff members and the public over the phone and in person in both cooperative and adversarial situations. Ability to work effectively toward solutions related to conflicting design issues.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college or university
- Registration as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) with the Colorado State Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, or ability to obtain one within 6 months, is required.
- Must possess a valid United States driver’s license and provide proof of a safe driving record, and maintain a safe driving record.
- One or more years of civil engineering experience in urban street design, water distribution and storm drainage design, and/or development review, preferably in an urban municipal environment, is highly preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to touch, handle, grasp, push and pull. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work is generally performed in an office environment that may require bending and kneeling, sitting for extended periods of time, and reaching. Light physical effort required by occasionally handling objects up to 50 pounds.
- Some field work that may include work in traffic or construction areas, with possible exposure to noise, fumes, odors, dust, poor ventilation, slippery or hazardous surfaces. Work may require the ability to traverse through various terrains.
The Town of Frederick is centrally located along the northern section of Colorado’s beautiful Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. Frederick has experienced unprecedented population growth in the last decade, but has managed to hold onto its small town charm. In 2019, Frederick was named the safest mid-sized city in Colorado, and USA Today named Frederick the best place to live in the State of Colorado. We strive to be an employer of choice in the northern metro Denver area by offering our employees a rich benefits package, competitive pay, and a diverse and inclusive culture. We consider ourselves a family. We love to have fun, we empower each other to do our best every day, and we reach out to help each other whenever help is needed. We are dedicated to providing friendly, efficient and innovative services and programs that serve to enrich the lives of our residents.
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)